Updated 2022 January 4
Every Teacher's Guide to Technology* is now available in HTML and other formats. PDF (direct download) is still the recommended format.
For more information, visit the main Every Sentient Being's Guide to ...* page.
Updated 2021 December 8
I finally released the first edition of Every Teacher's Guide to Technology*. The book has four parts:
- The Best Tool for the Job — covers different types of software and when to use them. For example, it looks at word processor features that many teachers could use every day; gives some advice on using slides; and gets into detail on using graphics and desktop publishing software.
- TechInEd Topics Deep Dive — goes into some detail about tech issues that teachers would benefit from knowing a bit about. Some of the topics are a bit more general, such as copyright and copyleft. Others are more day-to-day practical, such as scanning, OCR, and translating documents. And some are in between, such as typography and accessibility.
- Resources — is like an annotated bibliography of sorts, but includes web sites and software in addition to books. It is very, very, far from complete or comprehensive. I plan to expand on it in future editions.
- Back Matter — includes all the links from the book in full url form (in case you can't click); the pathetic beginnings of an index; and a similarly bare-bones start to a glossary. The index and the glossary will be expanded significantly in future editions.
Download the PDF or the original LaTeX files and images. (Other formats coming soon.)
Update: I fixed a few small issues in version 1.0. Version 1.0.1 is now linked above. Small issues, but they included external links, so I thought it best to update immediately.
Resources for Students
- CSCC LI Strategies for Learning Vocabulary class
- CSCC LI 2020 Au-B Vocab class (updated 2020-12-13)
- TGFS classes (NEW & updated 2021-02-03)
Resources for Teachers
- Added page
Sentient Being's Guides.sentient:
sentienttechnically refers to the ability to feel, not think. But, most people don't use it that way, and most people, I think, are more familiar with
sapient. Check there for Every Sentient Being's Guide to Password Security* and Every Teacher's Guide to Technology* (New 2021-12-06)
- Added index page to Educator Resources because added an informal math diagnostic for middle school and high school newcomers. (NEW 2021-05-18)
- Resources from
Practical Tech Tips for ESOL TeachersPD. Includes slides and 4 pages of useful keyboard shortcuts.
HTML Crossword Puzzle Template — renamed
index-page.htmlso it would not load automagically, and you can see a directory listing with the files. There is also a tar.gz file to download everything at once.