Strategies for Learning Vocabulary, a
micro-class brought to you by The Language Institute at Columbus
State Community College.
Today we will learn:
- a little about how and why to study vocabulary;
- a few strategies
strategiesmeans things that you can do to help reach a goal. we can use to learn vocabulary;
- some tools we can use to help us learn vocabulary.
Chris Spackman ...
- is a USA American;
- lived in Japan for many years;
- speaks English and Japanese; English is my native language. Japanese is my additional language.
- is a k-12 ESOL teacher in Columbus since 2010;
- teaches Basic English at CSCC on weekends since 2016.
- First, we will introduce ourselves. We will also do tech checks, so everyone can participate.
- After that, we will see how many words we know in
do NOT worry if you do not know a lot of the
testis NOT easy. No one knows all of the words! Please go to TestYourVocab.com. We will start as soon as everyone is ready.
- Next, we will talk about the lecture notes.
next to lastor
second to last(they mean the same thing). It is a great word to know, because many native speakers do not know it! we will look at Quizlet, a great online vocabulary learning resource.
- Finally, we will look at Anki, a powerful app and online tool for learning vocabulary. If we don't have time, we may not do this. There is information about it in the note slides, however.